Vague steering - long

Something's not quite right with my steering. It started at the weekend,
when I suddenly had difficulty turning left.

The steering would bind, then suddenly free up (sometines accompanied by a
"clonk") and would turn more than I intended it to.

The binding seems to have stopped now, but the wheel feels a bit loose and
has too much play in the straight ahead position. It's a bit like driving an
old car with "no-feel" power steering - constant steering corrections to
keep it straight.

It doesn't pull to one side under braking and bump steer doesn't seem to be
a problem. The front suspension has all been replaced, except for the
steering rack, rack bushes, tie rods and tie rod ends. Nothing seems to be
loose under the car.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Stuart