Re: 2.0 Conversion Advice

> I just threw a bearing on my 1.8....DOH!
>
> Now I am going to do the conversion.
>
> Couple of questions.
>
> 1.) What can I do now as opposed to later - Alright so I have a low
mileage
> 2.0. Is there anything I should do to it before I put the 1.8 head on
> it...(other than replacing gaskets, belts, etc.) ???

    replace all of the seals on the passenger side.  intermediate shaft seal
and crank seal are a must.  mine were leaking like mad last year, and will
(hopefully) not be a problem this year, now that they've been replaced.  my
gf's 83 GTI has a 2.0 16V that has a really leaky set of seals on it as
well.  i'm not looking forward to changing them because the motor is in the
car, and there's just not a lot of room there to play with.

> 2.) Sachs clutch ?

    that's what i use.

> 3.) Should I switch to Motronics now or can I do that later on ?

    some people like the motronic.  i've got CIS-E in my car, and it runs
just fine.  i ran a 14.74 with my 2.0 16V in my mk1 jetta last year.  we'll
see what happens this year.

> 4.) Can I do anything to the tranny to make it go faster in on the top end
> (I wanna pin that 140 speedo damnit!)...

    find a really big hill, and then ask someone that has a newer style
camaro or something to let you draft them.  if you change your 5th gear into
something really tall, you *may* have a chance to do it. :)  just kidding.
i think that it is possible, but you're probably going to have to do a bit
of work to the motor before you get up there (header, cams, etc)

> 5.) Scirocco.org Rules!

    that ain't no question ;)  yes, i do agree with you, tho.

jason
themadbastard