Any trick to tie rod removal?

I've already done it once.  In fact, like a month ago.
 The problem is, once I got them on, get it aligned, I
find out that my steering gear is bad (broke tooth).
I have the new rack on order, but last time I took the
tie rods off, it was a painful, evil process.  I
loc-tited them when I replaced them and am really NOT
looking forward to spending 45min/side with a pipe
wrench AGAIN.

Any tips on how to make it easier?  Special tools?
Anything?

Oh - with the replacement FEBI/Bilsteins, do I need
the stock lock-nut on the steering gear, or are they
good without it?  As long as I am redoing it I might
as well do it 100% right.

Thanks

=====
Mark