Clutch go boom?

    Well, I finally got around to taking out the release bearing on my '84
that will not clutch (i.e. is always in gear).  Anyway, the bearing pulled
right out and the rod stayed in as if clutched.  Then I pulled the rod out
to make it sure it was not stuck somehow and it slid freely.  So, basically
I just want to know if I am missing something.  Near as I can tell, I am
going to have to drop the tranny and see what is going on in there.  I am
dreading that thought, so I thought I would check with the list first.
Thanks..