Re: fuel delivery problem

On Mon, 29 May 2000 00:22:59 -0700 Scott Rose <slash@inlink.com> writes:
> Yes it always does this at 5000 rpm's, but only at full throttle.  Do
> you guys think it might be the full throttle switch?
>

> Scott Rose
> 88 red 16v

No, but it could be a transfer pump, or maybe a fuel filter.

Try installing the jumper first, that's what I would do.

The 16V Scirocco relay is only $11 or so, at the dealer.

My '88 would cut off randomly for a second, and then usually come right
back on.
Since the tach slowly bogged down, I new that it wasn't ignition
related...
I tried a fuel pump relay first, then a fuel filter, which I emptied into
a glass.
The fuel that poured out of the filter was all gray and murky. I then
replaced the transfer pump and that was it. The gray fuel was from the
transfer pump internals wearing itself apart.

Let us know,

Peter

> At 11:12 PM 5/28/00 -0400, you wrote:
> >Scott Rose <slash@inlink.com> writes:
> >> I have a helluva problem when I want drag against ppl on the
> strip, and just around town driving.  At full throttle, it starts to
cut
> out at 5000 rpm's, and basically won't go past that.  But if I don't go

> full throttle I can take it all the way to redline.  What could cause
> this?
> >any help gratefully wanted
> >>

> >> Scott Rose
> >> 88 red 16v
> >
> >My '84 would cut off at 5500 RPM, and I temporarily installed a
> jumper instead of the fuel pump relay and it was the problem in my
case.

> >Jumper the fuel pump relay and go for a test drive.
> >
> >I then opened up the old relay, cut the internals out and soldered
> the 2 large tabs together, popped the black plastic box back on, and I
> now have a foolproof fuel pump jumper.
> >
> >Does it always happen at 5000 RPM, when you get on it?

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'84 Scirocco 2.0L
'83 GTI