Re: 120A alternator: hp drain?

>In a message dated 5/25/2000 05:20:54 GMT Daylight Time, zeroid@hotmail.com
>writes:

> >  think that with the ignition off, alternators spin freely but once
>their
> >  coils are energized, they resist rotation.  Hmm, might be an
>interesting
> >  experiment to try.  Bear in mind that I'm no physicist so if I'm off,
>I'd
> >  appreciate the correction.  benton-----

>From: DNK006@aol.com

>Didn't anyone ever tell you not to disconect the battery with the engine
>on?

	Hmm, I guess my writing was ambiguous.  I was wondering aloud if one were
to remove the alternator belt and then turned on the ignition to energize
the alternator coils, would the alternator be hard to spin by hand?  I'd
certainly leave the battery connected; otherwise there'd be no power to the
alternator's coils.  Perhaps I've got this whole scenario worked out wrong.
benton----