Re: caliper pistons

In a message dated 05/24/2000 11:00:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
elf16v@juno.com writes:

<< If doing your brakes the way you have has worked for you, please keep
 doing it. To be honest, I'm tired of this subject. >>

Understood.  One of my pet peives on this list is the distribution of
incorrect advice given as "expert".  Your method may work, I never said it
didn't, what I did say is that the VW recommended way also does work and is
not incorrect or harmful to the master cylinder.  If you have debris in you
lines, your not maintaining them as they should be, (flushed, etc.) and you
may also damage your calipers, which are sometimes more expensive than your
master cylinder.

To sum up, it's a bad idea to tell someone looking for advice that the
manufacturer method of bleeding their brakes will ruin their master cylinder.
I you feel that it may, in your experience, please qualify your opinions.
What's more, don't assume that anyone who disagrees with you is uninformed on
the subject.

One of the GREAT  things about this list is that it allows everyone to feel
like they're an expert. ;-)