Re: problems cont......

Doolbnroht@aol.com wrote:

> ok well i did like i was told and put a jumper on the relay. the relay was
> hot so that means that the pump was drawing too much current, correct? so i
> replaced the pump with the one from my wrecked 16v. it seemed to do the
> trick. but another problem arose. the housing appears to be cracked. so i
> still have to buy a new freaking fuel pump. i was thinking of going with an
> aftermarket pump like a holley blue fuel pump. good idea? it's cheaper than a
> bosch unit and provides more pressure than the stock unit would. will this
> hurt anything if i can get it to fit? no hurry i'm not gonna mess with it
> till monday.
> -alan
>
> --

You cant just replace the pump with one that has more pressure. More
flow is OK, more pressure needs to be dealt with by the pressure
regulator; the system is tuned to a certain expected pressure- too much
and 'tings go boom'.

Housing cracked, Do you mean the case of the pump proper or the rubber
boot that wraps around it?

In terms or price you should be getting your parts from Mike and/or
Mark;

<http://www.paarts4vws.com>
<http://www.germanautoparts.com>

While it will still cost you something for replacements you get the
backing of someone who knows what they are doing, gets the 'Good Stuff'
for you, and is a better value than going to the local Pep Boys chain
type store with their "The computer says it fits your car..." attitude,
or worse; "We don't carry that".

hth,
TBerk