Over-heating problem

I was driving today (not a hot day), when I noticed steam coming from
under the hood. I quickly turned on the heater to max and pulled over.
there was antifreeze all over the drivers side of the engine. I couldn't
see any leak,maybe it just boiled over in the tank.I let it cool down a
bit then took off the cap slowly. The antifreeze was bubbling up.I added
some then drove home. Luckily I was 1 block away.When I stopped the car
in my garage I felt the hoses.All were hot except the lower rad hose
going to the waterpump. Does this mean my thermostat is stuck closed? If
so what cause them to go bad?
   John