Re: Timing setting

XSliverX@aol.com wrote:

> I recently purchased an 87' 16v scirocco with 248 cams in it and other HP
> items.  As I add more upgrades and how should I set my timing which I will be
> doing soon?   Right now the torque between 1,000 and 2,000 is really weak and
> it doesn't really pick up very quick untill after that.  What would be the
> best setting for the best performance?

This lack of pickup is natural for a multivalve small displacement
motor. Learn to drive around :) Try launching the car at about 2800 when
you wanna drive it hard, but don't just sidestep the clutch...... As for
setting the timing, you should keep it stock on a 16v car which is 6 +-1
degree if I remember right. If you don't you will start to wonder why
the car feels shitty until you wind it out.... Another thing is, when
setting the timing the idle mixture (DPR current) and DIS duty cycle
should be set too as all three of these correspond to each other. Good
luck dude.

Gary A. Huff scirocco86@home.com
86.5 16v Scirocco "Red Rocket" (120k miles)
80 Gas Rabbit Pickup; grazing the driveway. (Needs strut tower welding
and
title, 50k original miles)