No Start after engine rebuild

Well, I have 83 Scirocco that I race as a ITB in the SCCA. This winter I did a major rebuild: piston heads, rings and actually converted the car back to fuel injected from a carb set up that a previous owner had installed. I got the fuel injection parts off a 86 Scirocco in a salvage yard. I also had the head rebuilt. Today I tried to start it with only a little luck.. no leaks or anything but it just wouldn't hit. I know it has spark (coil to dist to plugs, I checked) it turned over but wouldn't hit/run. When I put a 3mm allen in the fuel distributor adj hole and pulled up on the lever it hit 3 or 4 times and would rev up to 4000 and then stall out. I just couldn't get it to  start and run.. I also am not sure that the oxy control box is getting juice, therefore the freq valve may not be, maybe, I'm can't tell cause it hasn't started. I have done so much to this due to the conversion from carb to fuel injected: fuel pump, fuel distributor, intake and the oxy box and sensors - I just might have something simple not right. Most of the electrical connections for the aux air, cold start and stuff were still in the harnesses. However the car is set up with a toggle switch for the ignition and one for the fuel pump and a button for the starter. I am hoping by doing that they didn't bypass some tie ins needed for the oxy control stuff.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks