RE: A quick, easy definition of torque?

--- Aaron Ness <aaron@makuta.com> wrote:
> HP at the crank is calculated by torque*rpm/5252.
> Seems to me it should be
> calculated the same way at the wheels, but I've
> never worked with a chassis
> dyno.  We had a Superflow engine dyno at Rose-Hulman
> that I used for a
> couple of lab projects.  We had a Chevy 350, a
> little wussy Ford 4-popper,
> and a Dodge truck V-10 available to play with.
>
> They had a chassis dyno sitting in a crate the
> entire time I was there, and
> as soon as I graduated, they promptly installed it.
> Bastards.
>
> Aaron
> '84 Scirocco 8V
> '70 Bug - Hibernating
> '87 Jeep Cherokee 4.0
>

> Ever see a torque wrench labled ft-lbs, or an ad
> with ft-lbs?  Well it's
> lb-ft!!!!  As far as units go, one ft lb would be
> one foot aplied to one
> pound (that isn't possible!!!)  More properly, one
> pound can be aplied to
> one
> foot (i.e. a lever).  Torque is simply  rotational
> force, like the force on
> screwdriver (used properly) or a breacker bar and
> socket.  Horsepower is a
> little more obscure.  HP is a calculated number,
> which means that it can not
> be measured directly (as previous post eluded to).
> I am not sure on how it
> is derived, but there are different ways to do it.
> Remember the muscle
> cars?
>  they used a different measurement which
> dramatically overstated the SAE net
> HP.  Our 1.8 8vs would have something like 160 HP
> with the old system...
> There is HP at the crank, HP at the wheels, HP
> calculated by acceleration
> (like G-Force meter).  I want to know how many
> pounds of thrust my car is
> equal to, then we could compare Sciroccos to F-16
> jet aircraft!!! (60,000
> Lbs
> v. 300lbs) maybe not
>
> BTW V-8s have more torque at low end because at high
> end they don't breath
> right, they are able to suck in air at lower rpms
> better (still not good)...
> ever look at the intake system on a V8, then compare
> it to a 1.8 JH, the V-8
> takes are through about 5-6 turns before it gets
> used, the JH manifold is
> almost an intake ram setup, straight to the valves.
>
> Ben
> 84 8v

Yes, I was aware that torque is sometimes measured in
foot/pounds, I even told my wife about this '73 Trans
Am I lusted after with a 455 ci motor with 400 ft/lbs
of torque. Definately not an easy subject this torque
thing. Pounds of thrust would be an interesting way to
look at your engine. That and the specific impulse of
the fuel. Like you said, pounds of thrust would look
silly when compared to an F-16, and even worse if you
started talking about an F-15 with limited ballistic
capeabilities. I won't mention the space shuttles main
stage engine...

Jorel Jackson