Re: New scirocco owner.

On Thu, 11 May 2000 14:21:31 EDT EMFalstaf@aol.com writes:
> Hey everyone
>
>     I just bought my first scirocco (1987 16 valve) and I just
> wanted see if  I could getting a couple of questions answered
concerning it.

> 1. Is it normal for it to be running at 100 cels.?
Yes.

> 2. I'm getting a lot of upper motor noise and I believe it may be
> the lifters how difficult is it to adjust them on a scirocco?
There is no adjustment...
You can try Marvel Mystery Oil, or something similar to clean them.
It can be annoying with noisy lifters, the Volkswagen lifters are known
to make noise as they get old, but other than the noise, you don't have
much to worry about.

> 3. I also was having the problem that one guy was having with the
> enginge sometimes "jumping" after hard excelleration and shifting into
a new
> gear.  What is the fix for this?
New engine mounts... They are usually shot on 16V Sciroccos...
Techtonics has all of 4 mounts for around a $100.

>     Since this is also my first volkswagen I really don't know much
> about the internal mechanics with the engines so I am just trying to
get it
> running good before I start working on modifications.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin
> 87 Scirocco 16v
> Baltimore Md.

Changing the timing belt and tensioner is a good idea, unless it was just
done...

I'm about an hour north of Baltimore, if you ever need any Scirocco
parts, or work done.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'84 Scirocco 2.0L
'83 GTI
'80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V, '86 GLi for parts