Steering rack problems, I hate this shit.

Ok. After hours of struggling underneath of this car I have everything
ready to just drop the clamps, and rip the rack out of the car so I can
get this over with and have something to drive. Of course I forgot to
pull the universal joint that attaches to the pinion shaft.... no big
deal, so I start trying to get it off........ 2hrs  later I'm covered
head to toe in grease, infuriated, and this stupid idiotic shitty rack
is still attached to the universal joint and I'm just cut up and sore.
How can I get this off? I've tried prying inbetween it and the rack
housing with a screwdriver, pulling on it fairly hard, and even prying
the "jaw" that attaches to the pinion open....... All of this, just to
put new tie rods on, adjust it, and new rack bushings since the old ones
are hosed. I *HATE* to imagine how much it would cost to pay to get this
done since the car has been on jackstands for days now. Another thing
is, that cheap boot that covers the universal shaft decided to
disintegrate as I pushed it up....... if someone has an extra I could
use it, since it looks like one of those dealer only special order 100$
rubber pieces.

--
Gary A. Huff scirocco86@home.com