Grinding/hard shifting

I have a problem when I shift into second gear. The problem is as follows.
When I shift slowly when it is cold out, it grinds. When I shift slowly when
it is warm out, it grinds less, but is harder to push into gear. When I shift
fast when it is cold, it it is hard to shift into gear and then there is a
short grinding. When I shift fast when it is warm, there is less grinding but
still is hard to put into gear. What are my possiblities here. I hope I
described the situation accurately.