melted shifter bushings

Has this ever happened to any one with headers on their car? There I
was, quite happy with the feel of my shifter after I had changed the 2
big plastic bushings that the main vertical rod moves in,and the one at
the end of the curved arm.Felt great for about a week, then I started to
feel a little slack, then it started to clang. WTF! Check to see what's
happening, and find the bushings I had replaced totally melted!I have
headers, and there is no heat shield to protect the linkage. I guess the
after market bushing replacements are not made from the same material as
the originals.
Making and attaching a heat shield was one solution, but I decided to
make my own bushings out of brass.I made them a pretty tight fit so it's
stiffer. Now I have so little play in the shifter when its in neutral,
and each gear goes in very solid( also added a weight to the shift rod).
Better than new I would say.
John