Re: Bad rod bearing?

I believe that the "break-in" period for an engine is so that the rings wear
nicely on the honed cyl. walls, so they seal good... anything less that 2000
will get too little oil on the walls, and anything more that 3000 (or
something like that) will cause oil to build up, and leak under the new
rings, making everything to suck.... (I hate to seen off-the-lot VW's get
beat on, it's a sure path to death at 60k). Cam shafts need something of a
break in period to (actually for the lifters).  You can change all the bottom
end bearings, including the crank, with just the oil pan off.  However, be
sure to note conditions of the journals.  If it is knocking, damage can and
will occur.
As for plastigauge, it is easy to use, just crush and line up with the key on
the package.  Be sure to use lots of assembly lube before you start her up!

Hope this helps (and if anyone knows more about break in times, let me know)
Ben
84 8v