Sent: Saturday, May 06, 2000 2:27 PM
Subject: Re: No Start!

You didn't say what year. My 90 Golf had a similar problem. It turned out to be the computer. Was this the first time this happened? For me it happened several times and I changed the fuel pump relay. Then total dead.
John

Sal Guzzo wrote:

Someone should be able to help me with this one!!! Before I take it to the mechanics, I wanna try to solve this predicament on my own. Motor: 1.8l 8V JH. Problem: The car will crank/turn over but it won't catch. The battery, alt. and starter are new. The fuel pump and filter were replaced about a year ago. The spark plugs, wires, distributor and rotor are brand new (maybe 1000kms on them). there's gas in the gas tank and oil in the motor. Now what do I check?  I can smell fuel after I start the car and it won't catch when it's cold or warm.  The fuel pump is one when I turn the ignition and that's about all I can describe about what's happening. Any suggestions or ideas? Ignition module? coil? O2 sensor box? ANything? TIA Sal Guzzo (fuckin' exhasuted from working on so many projects!) 81 Scirocco S (16V to be)
81 Scirocco (motorless and directionless)
84 Rabbit (now Gti)
84 Scirocco Wolfsburg