Re: Valve tap dilemna...

Do you think I still still drive it, could oil presure cause the tap ? Could
chnaging the oil pressure senders fix the tap ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Victor Farren <vfarren@rrs.cdie.org>
To: jason87vw@nac.net <jason87vw@nac.net>
Date: Friday, May 05, 2000 3:07 PM
Subject: Re: Valve tap dilemna...

Valve tap: Sounds like maybe you need new hydraulic lifters.

About the oil pump:  $200 aint bad, but you could probably do the work
yourself in an afternoon.  I have never replaced my oil pump, but I think
all you have to do is drop the oil pan to get access to it.

Victor

>>> "Jason" <jason87vw@nac.net> 05/05 2:46 PM >>>
I have a nasty valve tap. It is so bad, I am afraid to drive the car.

I have had a problem with the oil pressure forever (lazy bum). The oil
pressure light comes on in the dash and buzzes whenever I abuse the engine,
it will do this off and on when the engine is hot.

It has been suggested to me by my mechanic (a guy I trust fully) that since
I have over 200,000 that I should start by replacing my oil pump. He said he
will do the job for      $ 200.00 parts and labor. He also said that my
engine seems strong, so he doesn't think I have done any damage to anything.
He thinks that the valves are collapsing and that accounts for the light /
buzz, the tapping, and the loss of power...I guess I am looking for
ressurance from the list like "hey don't worry everything will be ok"...I
don't burn oil or push any smoke from the exhaust...I do have a leaky
injector and I will be looking to get them replaced / cleaned as well...Any
suggestions.

Jason87vw@nac.net
'87 16v Stoc Roc