RE: Turbo question [16V]

The most common option for the manifold is to get the cast iron AMS unit.
AMS had new ones for sale recently but not sure if they still have any left.
Otherwise, Momentum Motorsports in Canada is having some made in the near
future.  Lastly, you can have one custom made from a stainless header flange
and tubing, etc.  The downpipe will have to be custom made as it depends
highly on the type of manifold you are using and no one I know of makes a
downpipe for 16V A1 turbo cars that you can buy off-the-shelf.  Don't forget
that to "do it right" you should go 2.5" all the way back on the exhaust.

KE-Motronic is definitely better than CIS-E (KE-Jetronic).  It's "chippable"
and can deliver more fuel.  I'm ditching the Motronic this time around,
though.  I'm going to use an aftermarket programmable system, either SDS
($$$) or a cheaper one from a company in S. Africa.

I'm doing most of the work myself this time around.  Not using a kit at all.

I was running the 2.0 16V head.  I'm getting a P&P head from Techtonics now,
tho.  It doesn't really matter what type of core (1.8 vs 2.0) after a good
P&P has been done.

Be forwarned... this is an expensive hobby!  You can't get a decent 16V
turbo system together for under $3K even if you do most of the work
yourself.  If you cut too many corners and/or buy used parts, you'll
probably be sorry in the long run.

Good luck.

Bradley
Alpine White 1988 Scirocco 16V