ND Show (Lompoc) Reservations &......

First off, I must say "WOW"! for the 'revamped' listy.  I post a message and before I think about sending it, it pops up on the screen.  No waiting! :)

Anyway, on to business.  Drove up Highway 1 this weekend (Friday evening) to Ventura, Santa Barbara, Lompoc, Vandenberg AFB, and back home (Sunday afternoon).  Spent the weekend looking around (getting my bearings again, it's been so long since I've blazed up north) and stopped in to see Dave at Vandenberg billeting about the ND show reservations.  Currently there is a missile maintenance competition (formerly Olympic Arena) going on at VAFB and he was of the mind there was going to be another function happening during the week the Scirocco caravan is to roll into town.  What does this mean?  It means rooms might be hard to come by if there's overflow on base for billeting.  He's still going to try and cut us a break, but I really wasn't comfortable with that.  I've been trying to contact Motel 6 directly (Group Sales [800-544-4866]--handles reservations of 9 rooms and more) since the Motel 6 in Lompoc told me they couldn't do the group thing and I'd have to contact the corporate office directly.  Okay.  I'm still trying to do that.  Corporate office is two hours ahead of Los Angeles time and after you're on hold for a certain time (15 minutes my last attempt), the nice voice asks you to leave a message since all the operators are busy.  The other option presented by Dave was staying at the Spaceport Inn at Vandenberg Village (further up the hill as if going to VAFB) and they don't charge for double occupancy--but they charge a hefty $50 per night flat fee (single or double occupancy).  I thought it was a bit steep and Motel 6 only charges $34.99 per room (at least that's what the sign read). In any case, that's where I am with the reservations input.

On another note....I didn't have time to go look at a 1988 Scirocco 16v (Tornado Red) that's for sale in Ventura.  Two owners.  Previous owner was the current owner's brother.  The woman that owns it now gave me this info:

Car has been in the family since birth :)
Wants $2,450 for it but I believe she's open to negotiation
Has all receipts of work done
138,000 miles
Dash cracked in a couple places
No driver seat damage (vinyl/velour comb)
motor mount (passenger side) changed in 1998
Timing belt changed once since ownership (guestimate on her part without looking through the receipts)
Original paint (used rubbing compound and wax to keep it up)
Hood repainted due to heavy oxidation...but matches the rest of the body
Minor chipping of paint in wheel well area
Upper stress bar
Sony detachable face stereo
Bone stock

Anyone interested can call (805) 568-0959.  I told her about the Scirocco caravan to the ND show and she said that would be a swell time for her if anyone could stop by and look at the car.

If anyone in the area wants to "volunteer" to go look at it and give a bird's-eye synopsis beforehand, that would be great :)

I gave her the scirocco.org web address and she was truly amazed that there's such a loyal following for this great automobile.  I told her she might want to post her car in the "wanted" section of the website.

Steph