Re: New engine break-in etiquette

Well I went with the door number one(see below).

Find a nice country road, no traffic.  After the engine is warm(oil and
water), drive normally to 2nd gear.  Then go WOT to rev the engine to
redline(in 2nd gear).  Do not shift.  Then let off the gas and let it coast
back to say about 2000 rpm.  Hit it again(in 2nd gear) to redline. Repeat
this until all that black/blue smoke stops coming out of your tail pipe.
Took about 5 times for me.

The idea is to seat the piston rings and that's all.  Nothing else needs
"seating".  All the bearings have a set clearance and the distributor gear
better have it's clearance(opps, 16V has no dist. gear).  Valves better be
"seated" already.  The cams are suppose to push on the metal followers(no
"break-in" here) and the cam chain (16V) starts stretching, from your careful
adjustments, the moment the engine was started.

So what you want to do is seat the piston rings by putting a load on the
engine, which expands the compression ring into the cylinder walls.  When you
let off the throttle at redline is you cause a massive vaccum inside the
cylinders, while decelerating, which pulls the oil up from the lower cylinder
walls/crankcase and thus lubricates the "upper" cylinder and compression
ring. (BTW, this is why the owners manual tells you to vary your throttle
during the break-in period) Going WOT again repeats the process.  After a few
times the rings seat, you have near maximum compression and the oil control
rings controls the oil and thus no more smoke.  After this, go home and
change your oil and filter.

I did this 15 years ago when I swapped my engine.  No problems with oil
consumption whatsosever.  My pressures are currently at 185 psi, 185 psi, 178
psi & 178 psi on cylinders 1 thru 4, respectively.  I can't complain.

I also have a friend with a fairly "new" motorcycle and it was consuming
oil(no leaks).  I told him about the above technique and he tried it.  No
more oil burning.  His rings never seated because the PO was afraid to rev it
too high under load.

This technique worked for me and it got me full use of my engine in a matter
of an hour(oil change).  YMMV.

-Dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner