mk1 bumper covers and smoking taillights

I'm thinking about painting my bumpers on my mk1 with black vinyl
paint while I have them off of my car. Do any of you have experiece
doing this? how did you prep the surface? and how many coats did
you do?
I'm getting everything all cleaned up, or darkened up as the case
may be for my bumpers, before the ND show rolls around.
BTW, was it just a spray model tint that you guys have used to
smoke the rear and corner lights? should I lightly rough up the
lights with a fine sandpaper?
                   Kris Rayner
                  1989 GTI 16V
    1981 VW Scirocco S - Soon to be a 16V :)-
     "I do nothing in moderation but work."
               -Charles Dickens
        http://www.fix.net/~trzracing/web/