Re: RoadStar, ND Show, Get a Talkabout Radio!!!!!!

I have the answers to your questions about the Talkabout radio.

Q)1: Is it loud enough to use it in a car? I mean will it be heared by all
the passangers or only the "radio officer"?

A) Yes the radio has enough volume for a car. All the passengers can listen
to the broadcast. If you want to use a hands free VOX headset to keep the
passengers from listening you can, but I think it is best to just use the
radio
with out the headset. I have the headset with the voice activated mic and
headphones but I don't use it that much. I clip the radio on my shoulder
strap and use
a race pad from my 4 point harness to hold it up. The pad is optional but I
have
the harness in the car so I use it. I simply push the button to talk.
I don't fumble with it like you would a cell phone. The radio is not like a
CB.
A CB has constant noise that is difficult to listen too. The TalkAbout is
like
a race car's radio that a team uses to exchange information between the
drivers and the pit crew. I like the radio much better than a cell phone
because
no phone numbers are needed and every one can be on line. We use them to
inform the drivers of problems like pot holes or other dangerous situations
on the road. We work as a team on the road trip to help traffic and keep
all the cars in a line. It is just like a fighter pilot's radio.

Q) 2: Can it be operated NOT by holding it in hand? AFAIK it's forbidden to
use a mobile phone without a handsfree set in Germany while driving.
And no cop will say - okay, it's not a real mobile phone, use it.
(Yes I know, if it's not the driver who speaks it's okay)

A) Yes it can be used with a boom mic with a VOX interface (no hands).
In the US you can not cover your ears so only the mic can be used.
The way I use it is no different than pushing a button on your dash.
It is like turning on the headlights or turning on the car's radio or
pointing
to your shirt pocket. I personally do not like to use a cell phone when
driving
because it is so difficult to drive correctly when operating the phone.
If you have a copilot the driver can hear the conversation too.

Q) 3: Can you take as much radios as much cars we will have?

A) I am not sure how many radios will be needed. I can bring 4 radios.
I am not sure if we can use the radio in Europe but if we can we should try
to.
The radio is better than CB or cell phone for a big group of drivers.
We used CB in the past and we will never use them now that the TalkAbout
available in the US.

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco "GTX"
81 8v red Scirocco "S"