Re: Delrin vs. Poly busings

Owen wrote:

> Title pretty much asks the question.  What are the advantages of Delrin
> suspension bushings over poly?  I've put poly in most of my suspension
> (still have the rear beam to do), but is there anything i should be watching
> out for?

Delrin is harder than polyurethane so it controls the slop better. (Therefore it
increases the noise, vibration, and harshness as well...) More important for the
street, delrin rebounds from impacts whereas poly tends to "dent". So... Make
sure that you inspect those poly bushings every season to make sure they're
still in operable condition.

FWIW, I run the stock rubber bushings on the front of my a-arms and poly on the
rear of the a-arm. Why? It is the front that takes all the hard impacts; I once
turned my poly bushings into dust on a ten mile rally stage! The bushing on the
rear of the a-arm is there to just hold things in place so poly is fine.
However, I run delrins on the trailing arm pivots as that is a high stressload
area. A set of poly bushings takes care of things up top on the rear shock
mount. All of the stressloads up there are very well distributed across the
entire bushing so things don't get too out of shape.

YMMV...
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut