Re: Rollerskate car - What about skinny tires?

I think most people get confused when they think of tire sizes. Lets do
this. The stock tire size on a Scirocco 16v is 185/60-14. The plus one
size is 195-50-15. The plus two size is 205/40-16 (my size). Now back to
the 185/60-14. 185 is the width designation. 60 is the aspect ratio or
side wall thickness. This size is directly linked to the width and is a
percentage of it. Obviously the 14 is the size of the wheel.
When you talk about the 195/65-14 the tire will be slightly wider and
quite a bit taller than the stock size. You can see the pattern above in
the plus sizes but the MAIN consideration when choosing a tire is the
revolutions/mile. I can't remember the exact #'s but you want the revs to
be as close as possible when you up size. 195/55-14 would be closer to
the size you would want but good luck finding it.
For performance purposes, anything lower than a 50 aspect ratio (ie
195/50-15) is purely aesthetics. The disadvantages to going lower are pot
holes....many, many pot holes.

My .03¢
Eric
Good, bad....I'm the guy with the gun!