AHHH!!!! Big engine trouble

ahh. . .

Nothing like getting a phone call informing you that
something is pinging around inside your 16v motor when
you've spent all day looking for a tranny to replace
another one that machined itself.

There is a pinging noise at idle and high RPM.  Very
erratic.  Sounds like something in there's bouncing
around.  Engine oil light came on twice. . . the car
ate about 1 1/2 quarts before the final oil warning
went on with the onset of above mentioned horrendous
noise.  My mechanic says bring it in. . . it's bad and
it could be any number of things.  I'm thinking at
this point, it'd be cheaper to send the head in for
rebuild and hose the short block for a 2.0.  $80 an
hour for this sort of stuff is not my bag.  I'll get
the post-mortem from the machine shop doing the
rebuild if I don't spot it myself upon disassembly.

At any rate, I'm open to any 2.0 16 valve short blocks
lying around.  Any leads would be appreciated.  Two
16v's down. . . with major drivetrain maladies. . .
one still hanging on with a bent rear beam (found out
today when I took it in for alignment). . . one side
is mildly toe out, negative camber. . .the other side
is toe IN .41 degrees.  THrust angle is jacked causing
my wandering problem.  Somebody backed my car into
something when I loaned it out.  There's going to be
hell to pay.

Bad day,
'Chung