88 16v.....Starting problems,....HELP!

As some may remember,....my 88 16v rocco got a motor rebuild this past
winter.  Well today I finished putting gas in the tank.(drained it while I
had the car torn apart)  I rebuilt the 1.8 back to stock.....just really
wanted to see if I could do it. (that and the car sounded horrible with the
187K on the odometer)  Anyway,....I "primed" the motor by turning the motor
over via key with the coil wire grounded. (actually the center wire on the
distributor)  Figured that had gone on long enough that the oil pump should
have been working to 'lube" everything up real well.  Put the center wire
back on the distributor, turned the key and held the pedal down.  The car,
(to my surprise), started and was running.  But it was running rough, barely
running and the throttle was wide open.  So I figured the timing was off.
So I played with the distributor moving it back and forth.  Finally I turned
the key and it ran perfect.  It idled for about 15-20 seconds then shut off.
Turned the key some more and it would turn over, but it never fired.  What
the hell?  I have my 87 16v parked next to it to "match" things up.  But
this I did notice.  My 87 distributor wires run 1,2,4,3 clockwise or 1,3,4,2
counter clockwise.  But the ones on my 88, (the one that won't run) run
1,3,4,2 clock wise.  Does this matter?  How do check to see if I am getting
spark and fuel?  I'm just so damn mad right now I can't think straight.
HELP!
Thanks,
chris