Re: Mileage

In Ontario ethanol blends are available from Sunoco and UPI.  A large
facility near Chatham, Ontario, processes a great deal of Ontario grown
corn to produce a 10% blend for retail use.  This "crap" as you so
eloquently put it, significantly reduces CO and nitrogen emissions from
gasloine motors, and provides a market for locally grown corn.

I burn it almost exclusively in all my 4 stroke gas motors, from Scirocco
to lawnmower (doesn't mix well with oil for 2 stroke so not in the
chainsaws) and I am still able to achieve 45mpg with my 8V Scirocco
driving reasonably.  The ethanol is a little hard on old rubber (such as
the return line on the in-tank transfer pump assebly), but you never have
to worry about freeze-ups or water in the fuel.  It also does a very good
job of keeping down sludge and varnish (or removing what's there) so it
WILL bring out the worst in a long-neglected fuel system.

Your mileage truly may vary, but I will continue to use ethanol blended
gas as long as it continues to be available.

Drew (84 Scirocco X 2)

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Marie Laugesen wrote:

> Up here in Canada they have this gas station called Mohawk and they have
> that ethanol crap year round.  I just stay the hell away from it and
> generally fill up at Chevron or something.
>
> Just my $0.02
>
> Marie

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca