[mk1] Ditching the A/C

Well,

The other day I commenced ripping out the a/c system out of my 81 Scirocco
and I stumbled across a coupla unexpected adversities.

To begin with, I've never seen a VW with an a/c system so I don't know what
all these parts look like. The car is a 81 Scirocco S with a/c. Did these
cars come with a/c or has it been added? On the passenger side of the hatch
window, there's a round sticker which reads..."dpd air conditioned".  I'm
assuming that the a/c is stock.

So there I was eliminating the a/c rad and hoses and I decided to pop my
head under the dash on the passenger's side. This is what really confused
me. Unlike my other 81 (non-S)which has a tray, there exists a piece of
plastic which starts underneath the glove box and goes merely straight down
to the passenger's feet. Behind this is a box of some sort which I have
labelled as a heater core (only that in this case it's part of the a/c
system). Do I commence to rip this all apart and not worry about losing the
heating components?

My center console is even more so mysterious. Where the ashtray is normally
located, there exists two vents which connect to the aforementioned box
underneath the dash. The console looks something like this.....The gauges
are located in their normal positions; above that is the a/c controls which
have the words "dpd air conditioned" inscribed upon it as well as wood
grain backing (I thought that the 'S' models were completely blackened
out); below the two gauges, the ashtray is located (I'm not sure if this
has been mounted here).

So now what. Do I just start ripping everything out?
Is this how these vehicles equipped with a/c look like? Arggggggg....

Does anyone have interior pics of what the 's' model with a/c should look
like? I just took pics and I hope to present them ASAP.

TIA

Sal
81 Scirocco
81 Scirocco S (16V to be)