(non roc) Turboing an 8v Golf

Hello everyone,

At the end of the month, I will be purchasing an 85 cashmire white golf from
a friend of mine.  The car is sweet, with the Oo oO lights, sport exaust,
fuba, etc already done to it (and all for $1200).  My question is what kind
of Turbo kit can I get for $1500 or so.  Or, what mods could I do to extract
alot of horsepower and torque out of it? It is a GX low compression engine.
I am thinking possibly no turbo and some high compression, also P&P and a
dual outlet manifold, but Im not sure yet. Any suggestions will be welcomed.

Pete