Two are better than one (LONG)

Acquisition number 25 (or 26 - can't remember which) joined the fleet this
morning.  Keeping my 84 Mars Red Wolfsburg company will be an 84 (08/83)
Scirocco w/ air and sunroof.  The colour is that really nice dark grey -
I'm not sure what you call it - but I'll check the paint code on the
weekend.

The body of the newcomer is in exceptional shape (for an 84 that's lived
its life in midwestern Ontario) with the exception of an ugly bang in the
front of the hood.  The interior is a disaster area, with the exception of
the seats, which are in remarkably good shape.  The car is in running
condition (clogged fuel filter and very rusty tank & lines), and comes
with a header of unkown origin (I believe that this is the extent of the
performance mods.)  The engine and transmission are still the factory JH
and 4K (verified against the build sticker in the trunk.) The odometer
reads 175,000KM, but it looks as if the cluster may have been changed.
The cluster itself appears to have MFA (there's a legend around the clock)
but there's no mode switch, and no function switch on the end of the
stalk.  I expect that the cluster came from an A2 GTI, which has both mode
and function switches on the stalk, and that this Scirocco was never
equipped with MFA from the factory (there's no vacuum line for the cluster
coming off of the intake manifold either.)

The deal also included 2 extra 13x5.5et38 alloys (these are referred to as
tarantuala rims, I believe?) to go with the ones on the car.  An added
bonus was an extra blower motor (non air, but still functional) that the
PO bought only to discover that it wouldn't fit.

The best part of the whole deal was although I had admired the car from a
distance as I drove by it two or three times a week, I had no intentions
of asking after it, as I couldn't afford ANOTHER Scirocco that would sit
in the barn for a year...

Then Monday night the phone rings, and this guy I've never met before says
he got my name from the guy he rents his house from (who I went to school
with) and that he heard I might be interested in buying his Scirocco.
Upon hearing the asking price ($150.00 CDN) I calmly told him I'd be
around on Wednesday to take a look at it (I had a really hard time
sounding disinterested, I'll tell you...)

My wife not too begrudgingly agreed that $150 sounded like a pretty good
deal (her German ancestrage allows her to recognize a good deal when it
comes along) and gave me her blessing (and $150 :) )

As my brother pointed out, I now have a breeding pair.  Let the wind blow.

Drew (TWO 1984 Sciroccos standing out in a parking lot full of VWs)

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca