brakes

So, I go to replace my front pads and rotors (85 8V)today.  Everything comes
off just fine.  Get the new rotor on, replace pad carrier, and pads.  Now,
the caliper won't fit because of newer thicker pad.  Mr. Bentley tells me to
push piston in to make room.  The piston does not want to go anywhere by
hand.  It makes no mention of a clamp (even says to use a rubber band to
hold it back!)  Why won't the piston move back into the caliper?  What am I
doing wrong?  Please help!

Brad

85 8V