Re: Clutch Cable?

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000 08:04:30 -0800 "StephyGee" <stephygee@prodigy.net>
writes:
>Alrighty then...seein' if I can find a clutch cable around Los Angeles
>=(,
>how do I fix it?  What do I have to do?  I searched deja.com and some
>fellow
>said the cable goes by the airbox.  Is this so?  HELP
>MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
>
>Steph :)

All you do is jack up the drivers side of the car. (Block it or use
jackatands. Safety first.)
Open the hood. Find the tranny, then on the front of the tranny (facing
the radiator) is a clutch lever which is connected to the clutch cable.
The cable runs up a few inches thru a grommet on the tranny. At the top
of this grommet you will see where the clutch cable makes its adjustment.
There is a metric nut and a plastic piece. (This is assuming you have a
manually adjusting cable.)

Loosen the nut and screw the plastic piece all the way down so the clutch
cable is really loose. This will allow you to remove the cable from the
clutch arm.

Now, from under the car, lift up on the clutch arm and pull down on the
cable itself. There is a rectangular piece of metal with a slit in it.
slide this off the clutch cable ball. (If it hasn't already fallen off.
If it has, you will need to find one. Might need to call a favor into the
Potterman.) There is another metal piece he same shape, but with no slit.
This falls off easily and the job is half done. This sounds complicated
or involved but its taken me twice as long typing it out (40 wpm) than it
does to do this whole job. Just remember how the 2 pieces came off. There
is also a rubber bushing that will probably come off too.

Now, inside the car, you will need to remove the shelf and the lower
steering cover thingie. (the big black one that covers the pedal
cluster.)
Once you get that off, the clutch cable simply unhooks from the top of
the clutch pedal. get out and remove the clutch cable from the engine
bay. NOTE WHERE THE CABLE ROUTES. Duplicate the clutch cable routing.

Installation is in reverse of removal.. bladdy-bladdy-bladdy.
With the exception that when you install the rectangular clips, get a zip
tie and zip tie the rectangular cap with the slit, rectangular cap with
the hole and the rubber bushing together thru the clutch arm. That way if
the cable breaks down low, you don't loose the hardware.

Adjust the clutch cable until you don't have much play in the cable (pull
up and down on the cable, it should be snug with a little play.) Check
the pedal travel until its adjusted right. Might take 5-10 tries.

Sounds complicated, its not. If I were close to you id drop over and do
it for you, its that easy.
GL!

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and