Re: no start

Something to try before condemning the starter.  Try taking the red wire
with the spade terminal off of the starter solenoid and cleaning both
ends.  This is the wire that comes from the ignition switch, BTW.
Reinstall it and try to start the car. On 3 out of 4 A1 cars I've had,
this cures the intermitent click-click no-start problem.  If this
doesn't work, try bridging the two large terminals on the starter with a
screwdriver or similar plastic or rubber-handled object or a jumper wire
(even better) and see if the starter motor spins.  If it does, than it's
a bad solenoid.  If not, the starter is toast.  This all assumes you've
verified proper battery voltage at the starter first.  In other words,
make sure the battery cables and connections are good.  HTH

Mike
83 Scirocco GT