Re: Advice on wheel offset

--- Travis Bedford <tmb16v@hotmail.com> wrote:
> What is the correct offset of a teardrop wheel? I've
> always thought it was
> 38. Does a newer, larger wheel need to be the same
> offset?

Proper offset changes with rim width.

The 5" alloy used on most U.S. Mk1 alloys was 45 ET.
The 5.5" alloys on most U.S. Mk2 was 38ET.
The 6" teardrop is 38ET
Most 7" rims are 35 ET. The 15X7 rims on my Mk2 are 37
ET (weird).

The wider the rim, the lower the offset. Let's say you
had a 6" rim. As offset increases, inner clearance (to
springs, etc.)decreases. Be careful not to go too low
on the offset, as this can cause stress on the wheel
bearings.

HTH

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco S, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)