Jetta Gli Recaro seats - 1" drop

Well, after a about an hour of staring at the underside of my Recaro seats I
finally figured out a way to get about another inch or inch and a quarter
lower in the back.  For those interested please continue to read, and I will
attempt to describe how.

As we all know, the Recaro seats that many of us have tend to ride a little
high.  From what i see other than switching the brackets on the bottom (must
have donor seats) or cutting the base and welding shorter there is one option
left available.  If you look at the worm gear that spins to raise and lower
the seats you will see about 6 washers and 2 thick nuts with hex nuts to hold
them in place.  By moving some of these washers you can get a little more
downward movement on the height adjustment.

1st get the seat out of the car, and flip over on a towel or something in
front of the car.  Then take a wire about 10 feet long and connect it to your
pos and neg battery terminals.  Connect the other end to the power harness of
the motor on the seat (use spade clips).  Take hex keys and remove the 3 bolts
holding the motor to the seat frame, as well as the hex nuts holding the fat
nuts (thats funny huh?).  Take the nut farthest out on the worm gear off.
Hold the electrical switch and work the worm gear out (you may have to move
the other fat nut up a little to keep it from binding).  After you get the
worm gear all the way out of the box,  slide the motor off the splines at the
end of the bar and work the bar downward.  Remove the fat nut and the three
thin washers above the L bracket and leave the ones below (closer to the
motor).  You will see that one of the thin washers you removed is a bearing.
Place it on top of the other three washers and then put one of the other thin
washers that you removed on top of that.  Insert worm pole/gear back into L
bracket and thread into box.  Place the motor back on the spline and work gear
back in.  Replace hex bolts holding motor to frame.  Now turn the seat over
and sit in it while holding the button to lower the seat down.  Once all the
way down disconnect spade clips, flip seat back over and thread one of those
fat nuts back on and all the way down on the box.  Put the seat back in the
car and compare it to the one sitting next to it.  There should be about a 1"
in drop in the rear.  It's a lot of work, but seems to have made some
difference.  Total time about 1 hour for the first one and 30 min for the
second one.

This was actually an easy process, and all the parts are still usable if you
ever wanted to put it back togetehr.  Please feel free to ask any questions as
I am sure these might have been some unclear instructions.  Man I could really
use a smaller steering wheel - anybody got one?  I think I will eventually
have to cut these brackets and set the seat all the way down on the floor of
the car cause the steering wheel drags my knees, and I'm pretty damn short!.

-=Rick
84' 8V Wolfs
Mobile, AL