5500 RPM Cut-off Problem Solved 8^)

I finally found the problem...

It was the fuel pump relay, which was suspected by Meze and Tim
(planetyoda)...

I replaced it with the proper relay, last nigh I was told that the one in
the car was from a Fox or something. Hearing that I started suspecting
the fuel pump relay.

One thing that slowed me down was that the fuse panel in this '84
Scirocco is not the same as the '84 Scirocco fuse panel in the Bentley.
It is the same as the '85 and up Scirocco, so I was thinking it is an '84
1/2, but it has the full size spare...

I finally figured out which one was the fuel pump relay, replaced it and
now it will pull hard all the way to 6800.

Thanks to all who helped.

Peter- a very happy camper