RE: [now non-roc]Re: Radiator Fan Question

I don't think he's actually suggesting anything quite as radical as you say.
I don't know for sure, but I guess his idea is that, when the car is moving,
a drag resistance force is generated anyway. By adding the fan generator
into the equation, power consumed by the drag increase is less than the
power output from the generator, therefore you are reclaiming some of that
power previously lost to drag.  The effective range of the car is increased
simply by supplying a proportion of the power needed to drive the car's
motor from the generator, instead of entirely from the battery.  Obviously
this concept has limited (if any) benefits.  It doesn't quite correlate to
your 'generator on a wheel' scenario as, in that case, you are simply adding
extra resistance, and the best you can hope for is to break even, assuming
you have 100% efficient conversion back into electricity, which you won't
have.  With the fan, you are replacing a certain amount of resistance
(normal drag of frontal area of car) with a new higher resistance ( drag of
front of car, with fan/generator installed ) - power output of generator.
The prototype that this guy built does apparently work, according to the
report.  It did mention that it didn't give any useful output unless you
were travelling > 30mph.

Ewan Hopkins...

'85 Storm 2.0
'86 GT 1.8