Re: Motor mounts

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Christopher Michael Boggs wrote:

> I have an '88 16v with about 123,000 miles on it.  Now for the
> question:  How many motor mounts are there on my car?
> Last summer I replaced the right side and front motor mounts and now the
> steering wheel and car is starting to vibrate at idle.  I can't think what
> else might be the cause?

There are two motor mounts and two transmission mounts. The driver-side
transmission mount doesn't usually have problems (according to people
who've told me so; it's not a simple one to replace, so I'll accept that
until I'm forced to change it). The rear transmission mount is pretty easy
to change (more work than the front motor mount, less work than the
passenger-side motor mount). I recently changed out all the mounts except
for the driver-side transmission mount, and my dash is nice and quiet now.

How long do the passenger-side motor mounts last?

-Oliver

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com
    Scirocco MkII Diary - http://erisian.com/~oseiler/scirocco/index.html