Re: Alternator Questions

Not necessarily

Jump the car first.  If it runs for a minute, then
when you disconnect the jumper cables it dies, it is
your alternator.  If it keeps running it is your
battery.

The batttery will put out enough juice to run the
lights / radio for a while, but may not let it crank
up.

Try jumpstarting it first.  Maybe it'll save ou some
time & $$$

Mark

--- Matt Smith <ew1737@home.com> wrote:
> I think my alternator finally gave out.  The car
> won't turn over, but has power to radio, power
> mirrors, etc which would lead me to believe the
> battery is still good.  Would any MK II alternator
> work to replace it?  I know of an 88 that's good for
> parts down at the ol' Pic and Pull.  Or would
> cleaning the contacts fix the problem?
>
> Matt Smith
> 85 Mars Red 8V
> http://members.home.net/ew1737/vw/index.html