Re: 16v rear swaybar on mk1

--- Benjamin Harder <vwtype53@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>   I have a rear axle from a 16v rocco and want to
> somehow get the swaybar
> onto my '81 roc.  How do you remove the "bands" on
> the ends of the
> swaybar? There's a clip that holds the band
> together.  How can this be
> removed?

These clips are "Uni-directional". There is a tab at
one end that must be bent to remove it. Once this is
done I use a rubber mallet and a large screw driver to
remove it. They only slide off one way. This should be
obvious as you get into it.

  Then, is there a trick to getting it back
> on?

The clips are easy - installation is reverse of
removal.

The "U" pieces can be a real pain - you have to clear
the brake lines and such.

> This looks like a real pain!
> Would it be easier to just swap axles?

Not in my book (if I had a book). If I had a 1980 or
earlier (the axles are not pre-drilled for the sway
bar on these (U.S.) cars) I would consider the axle
swap. Also, If I were going to rear disk I would
consider the axle swap.

  I can't
> imagine this being easier,
> but it's an option...
> For those with 16v swaybars on a mk1...how do you
> like them?

I have the 16V rear bar on my '82 - love it. (the
fronts are the same 8V or 16V). I have not put the 16V
rear onto the '81 yet, but the A1 chassis responds
very well to added rear stiffness.

HTH

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco S, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)