RE: Help! Dead 16V

I've done this in my truck and my Bug (just to prove to myself I could) and
my old Ghia (because the clutch fell apart).  My father-in-law worked for
the highway dep't about 20-25 years ago, and he found that he could
accelerate faster in those trucks if he didn't use the clutch.  In my
experience, the same doesn't hold true for a typical car.

If you've never done this before, it's a good idea to try it just to get the
feel of what you need to do in case your clutch cable breaks, or the pushrod
punches through the center plate.  Downshift as described below, and upshift
by shifting to neutral, then letting the engine speed drop to where it would
be if you were in the gear you're heading for given your current speed.

Aaron
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!
'70 Bug - hibernating
'87 Nissan truck - Soon to be for sale