16v FPR weirdness

Hi all,

The fuel pump relay in my '87 16V has been acting up lately. I was driving
earlier today and suddenly the engine died at 50 mph and I coasted over to
the shoulder and tried to restart the car. I noticed the fuel pump wasn't
priming when I turned the key. If I held the relay closed with my fingers
and turned the ignition simultaneously I found the car would start but die
as soon as I let go. No surprises, I figured the relay died. I connected
my emergency jumper and drove another 30 miles today since then

When I got home I connected some wires to a generic 5-pin relay (the
aftermarket variety used in starter kill applications, etc) I had lying
around and connected them to spade connectors which I inserted into the
fusebox, effectively "making" a fuel pump relay that was electrically
equivilent to the relay that it replaced. I tried to start the car but the
fuel pump still wouldn't make any noise. So my current suspicion from
looking at the bentley wiring diagrams is that the wiring harness is
either disconnected or severely corroded at the back of the fusebox. The
FPR signal is drawn straight from ignition (15) but is grounded at the
knockbox (probably so it can be controlled electronically and not by the
ignition switch alone). The two contacts that I was previously jumpering
work fine with a jumper, so the problem doesn't lie there. I should
mention that the oem relay does not click or even move when I turn the key.

I do have a somewhat intermittant problem with a leak that seems to be
magnetically drawn to my fusebox. Any ideas on what this could be? I have
a really busy schedule so I'll probably be driving with the jumper in
place until I get a half hour or so to monkey around with it and pull the
fusebox out to get a look.

Thanks,

-Toby

--