drive axel question:

i was under my car (88 16v) today changing my oil, and i noticed something
protruding from my diff. case.  the passenger side is worse, but there is a
round green thing sticking out.  i haven't gotten my bentley as of yet, but
are these the drive flange seals?  if they are, do i need to replace them or
can they just be shoved back in?  if they do need to be replaced, is it
something that can be done in a day or so? I am pretty mechanically inclined
seeing that i just got done with my first  year of vocational school.  Also
how much do they cost?
thanx y'all!
~Corey Muscavitz
88 16v