Rejoining the fold - 89 Scirocco

Well, I may be back.  :) After a brief stint with a Corrado VR6
(couldn't
afford it - but oh what a month we had together) and now an 86 GTI (a
few problems that just can't get worked out), I'm looking to get back
to my roots - my first two VWs were 8v Sciroccos.

I just found a 1989 8v .. I didn't even know there was a non-16v
89 Scirocco (I'm in Canada).  it's black on black, all safetied and
emission tested and A/C and that .. can anyone tell me about how
this car would differ from my old '84s ? I have the VIN if it
helps : WVWCA0539KK005508  I haven't seen it in person yet,
it's a few hundred kilometers away from me.

Which decodes to an 89 8v alright.  any advice ? would it be worth
spending a few extra hundred to go 16v? i don't want to get into a
maintenance nightmare, I sold the corrado to downsize my life for
a few years.

I really like the quick peppy tossable nature of my GTI .. it reminds
me of my old roccos.  The Mk2's didn't get any heavier from 84 to
89 did they ?

or, if anyone's selling a good rocco in the southwestern ontario area,
give me a call :-)