Re: replacing motor/tranny mounts

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:30:15 EDT WaspHwy@aol.com writes:
> I got my set from TT and am about to embark on the replacing process.
> can anybody give me some pointers as to the easiest, most efficient way

> to do this? any help would be greatly appreciated. tia

Start with the front and rear mounts, if you are unsure about your
mechanical ability.
If you have a hard time with them, don't even try the passenger mount.
8^)

I just replaced the passenger mount on my GTI this afternoon,
along with the timing belt and tensioner, and the lower timing belt
cover.
It took me ~3 hours...
I checked the timing after I was done, and it was dead on, no adjustment
was necessary.
This is after I put off doing it for 2 years, and I did the other mounts
when I replaced the transaxle.

Use a ViseGrip on the 2-6 mm allen bolts on the rear of the mount, clamp
the top one from above and turn it,
release and repeat. Get the bottom one from below, and like Dick
suggested replace them both with hex heads.

8V directions:

Remove the crank pulley, and water pump pulley. 13 mm hex (with a/c), and
6 mm allens.
Remove the lower timing belt cover.1- 5 mm allen, and 2-10 mm hex.
Remove the 2 rear 6 mm bolts, and then the stud for the upper cover, 13
mm, and the 13 mm hex below it.
Remove the 17 mm engine mount bolt, I did mine from below...

Wiggle the new mount in it's bracket up into position, and just start the
17 mm engine mount bolt.
Then start the top stud, and the lower 13 mm hex.
Then push the rubber pad back as you insert the NEW 13 mm hex bolt and
get it threaded in.
Then do the bottom NEW 13 mm hex, once they are all started, you can
tighten them all down.
Reinstall the lower timing belt cover, and pulleys.

This is a good time to replace the timing belt and tensioner as well.

Btw I have new lower timing belt covers for $10 delivered. 8^)

I'm glad I bought them now, because mine was chewed up.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V