Re: Best coolant?

If you go to the Prestone web site, they talk about the 'Phosphate free'
business applying more to Europe than the US because Europe's water is very
hard, much more so than in the US.

Prestone claims, that's why VW suggests Phosphate free coolant.  They say it
isn't necessary here in the US, you can just use their regular green stuff -
which BTW says it protects aluminum radiators, so why wouldn't it protect
aluminum heads?

My wife's 95 corolla has an aluminum 16V head and I've never seen ANY mention
in the owner's manual about Phosphate free coolant for her Toyota.

So anyway, I'm using the regular green Prestone in my 16V, though it's
actually mixed with soft water care of my Culligan water softener - which BTW
uses salt crystals to soften the water so maybe I'll end up with a rusted
block.

Jay Bichanich
86.5 Scirocco 16V Tornado Red (Original owner)