Re: 85 scirocco problems,

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 08:38:12PM -0700, chris wrote:

> ok i jsut got a new 85 rocco and cannot get it to start, i it turns over
> fine but it would just keep turning over not getting spark so i tested the
> coil for spark and there was nothing... i changed the coil with one i know
> works and it still didnt do anything, could this be a problem with the
> computer or what else should i look for?
> thanks

Put a 12v test light between the negative (yes, the negative) side of the
coil and the engine ground. Crank the engine, look for the light to blink.

If you do get a blinking test light, check the continuity of all the
igniton wires (including the coil wire) and make sure the firing order is
correct.

If it doesnt, I'd suspect either: bad hall sensor, disconnected hall
sensor, disconnected ignition module, or bad ignition module. In my case,
it was a bad hall sensor. There is a 3 wire plug that goes to the hall
sensor.  Using a multimeter, check for 12v across the outer 2 wires. Then,
reconnect the plug and peel back the rubber boot to expose the wires a
little. Put a LED between the middle terminal and one of the outer
terminals and crank the engine.  If the hall sensor is good, the LED
should blink. If not, try reversing the polarity of the LED, and crank
again. If still no blink, your hall sensor is bad. Good luck finding a new
one... on my car (a 16v, has a different and harder to find
distributor) the cheapest I could find a new sensor was $100. I ended up
getting a brand new distributor for 175 from mark@germanautoparts.com ,
since my oil seal was going bad and I needed a new cap&rotor anyway.

Dan

--
I am not authorized to fire substitute teachers.
I am not authorized to fire substitute teachers.
I am not authorized to fire substitute teachers.
I am not authorized to fire substitute teachers.

	-- Bart Simpson