real purpose of rear spoiler

Though the aerodynamic and downforce contributions are questionable, I have
found a real purpose to the rear spoiler on our beloved cars.  Was chugging
down some water after the fifth soccer game I referreed yesterday in the
oppressive sun, and put my sunglasses on the roof in order to soak myself.
Well, obviously I proceeded to drive away with them there, and only realized
I had lost them about 60 miles later when I pulled into my driveway, and it
suddenly dawned on my why had been squinting the whole way home.  Upon going
to the trunk to get my things out, I see, stuck between the window and the
spoiler, my somewhat expensive glasses, having been snagged after sliding
off the roof!  Once again the car brings a smile to my face...

Brad